Nespresso launches a new flagship boutique designed to inspire and excite shoppers with the stories and artistry behind some of the finest coffees in the world.
The striking flagship boutique in Vienna includes several innovations, such as a Coffee Lab where customers can explore the stories and expertise behind Nespresso coffees as well as, for the first time in a Nespresso boutique, learn about different ways to prepare and enjoy coffee – through a variety of brewing methods, including those beyond the Nespresso system. From summer 2021, the Vienna flagship will also introduce augmented reality (AR) experiences and an immersive room will enable visitors to digitally interact face-to-face with top chefs or engage with coffee farmers taking part in the brand’s AAA Sustainable Quality™ Program.
Piloting initially in Austria, with intentions to introduce the concept globally over the next five years, the new flagship boutique will bridge the gap between offline and online retail, delivering artistic, innovative and in-person brand experiences, alongside the highest standards in sustainable design. The new concept will complement other existing retail formats, catering to varying customer needs and shopping preferences.
“Our boutiques play a key role in engaging consumers in the Nespresso brand universe. Even in the current context we strongly believe in the relevance and power of retail as a brand building channel, working in tandem with other channels such as e-commerce,” comments Jean-Christophe Jaunin, Global B2C Head at Nespresso. “Consumers seek immersive shopping moments, personal interaction with experts and more human connections than ever. Our new flagship boutique concept will bring an elevated coffee experience to them, combining sensorial excitement, excellent customer service and inspiring exchanges with our coffee specialists to deliver unexpected and personalized experiences.”
An experience designed around five arts
Placing a greater emphasis on the experience, Nespresso has defined five customer-focused arts that will be reflected in the new flagship:
- Art of Design – an ambition to spark feelings and evoke emotions through beautiful aesthetics, materials and design. Within the Vienna flagship, Nespresso is also introducing café-inspired seating areas for sharing a coffee moment.
- Art of Coffee Savoir-Faire – from tasting rituals and coffee masterclasses to in-depth knowledge about the roasting and grinding of coffee beans, Nespresso will enable customer discovery of coffee aromas and origin taste characters.
- Art of Sharing and Caring – using storytelling to bring customers closer to Nespressothrough a shared passion for coffee. Through local events and partnerships, the new flagship concept will provide a truly localized experience bringing those who love coffee and the Nespresso community together.
- Art of Circularity – showing visitors how Nespresso recycles its used aluminium capsules, upcycles and takes actions to preserve our planet’s resources through interactive dashboards and a dedicated Recycling Corner in the boutique, where customers will be able to return their used capsules. For the first time in a Nespresso boutique, refurbished coffee machines will be sold.
- Art of Hospitality – Focusing on a renewed commitment to excellent customer service and an experience in line with its hospitality heritage, Nespresso is ensuring that its spaces and people provide an inviting, warm atmosphere to enjoy coffee. The flagship boutique will also provide exclusive services such as gift engraving and product personalization.
Elevating its retail approach to meet shoppers’ evolving needs and expectations, Nespresso will feature inspiring elements from the five arts of the coffee universe across its established boutique network.
Unique experiences that deepen local connections
To make the flagship boutique uniquely local to its home city, giving visitors a curated experience not found anywhere else, Nespresso has introduced Viennese design and décor throughout, including cushions based on designs of historic artist Josef Hoffmann, original lighting by iconic manufacturer WOKA, and skylights inspired by the architecture of the famous Palais Ferstel.
This local approach extends to the tastes and aromas that customers can enjoy, too. Customers will have the opportunity to enjoy typical Viennese coffee recipes such as “Wiener Einspänner”, “Fiaker” or “Franziskaner”.
The highest standards in sustainable boutique design
For the new flagship concept, Nespresso has collaborated with retail sustainability experts, Quantum4, to ensure sustainable furniture design, such as seating areas or product exploration tables, sourced to reduce the carbon footprint and minimise overall environmental impact. In addition, the flagship boutique is BREEAM certified, the world’s leading sustainability assessment method for infrastructure and buildings.
Nespresso’s unique direct-to-consumer model and omni-channel approach provides the brand with a distinctive opportunity to offer a seamless and personalized experience to customers.
“Our direct-to-consumer model is unique in the coffee marketplace. It allows us to deeply understand our customers’ preferences and needs, which enables us to serve them better. Together with our digital channels (web, app) and our call centres, we are able to cater to diverse customers’ shopping preferences and convenience needs. Leveraging the power of offline and online touchpoints enables us to meet our consumers where they are and where they want to shop, allowing us to build a seamless omni-channel approach,” concludes Jaunin.