Nespresso has debuted its new experiential boutique concept in the UK at the Bluewater shopping centre in Kent.
The evolved boutique concept is designed to meet shoppers’ changing needs by offering immersive, localised and personalised experiences, exploring the artistry behind some of the world’s finest coffees.
The launch is part of Nespresso’s vision to elevate its retail approach and introduces several new innovations to inspire and excite customers and engage them in the Nespresso brand universe. These include an interactive ‘Taste & Discover’ area, where customers can explore and create their own coffee recipes using iPad tutorials and Nespresso machines, alongside augmented reality (AR) experiences. AR gives consumers the opportunity to immerse themselves in the stories, heritage and expertise behind Nespresso coffees and understand how capsules are recycled, giving waste a second life.
A ‘Coffee as an Art’ masterclass area also invites customers to learn about sophisticated recipe creation – from roasting coffee beans to preparing cold brews – and gain insight into the brand’s AAA Sustainable Quality™ Program. Coffee specialists are also on-hand to assist shoppers in exploring the Nespresso range further, with one-on-one coffee learning, tasting and machine demonstrations, to better understand their taste preferences.
Guillaume Chesneau, Managing Director of Nespresso UK & ROI, said: “Nespresso boutiques continue to play a key role in driving an elevated customer experience, working in tandem with other channels such as e-commerce, as part of our seamless omni-channel approach. Through this innovative evolved boutique concept – a first for Nespresso in the UK – we’re taking coffee exploration further than ever before, enabling customers to learn about Nespresso blends, recipes, brewing methods and our commitment to sustainability through immersive and interactive shopping moments that cater to evolving consumer needs and preferences.”
The boutique design reflects Nespresso’s long-standing commitment to sustainability, recycling, and circularity, with sustainable features including table tops made with used coffee grounds, alongside 100% Forest Stewardship Council (FSC)-certified wood and LED lighting, and the use of sustainable materials sourced from the UK to reduce the boutique’s carbon footprint and minimise overall environmental impact. The boutique is also fully powered by renewable energy and provides a capsule recycling drop-off point, supporting the company’s global and UK ambition to offer customers a carbon neutral cup of coffee by the end of 2022.
Nespresso capsules are made of aluminium, which is infinitely recyclable. They can be recycled through the UK’s first industry-wide coffee capsule recycling scheme, Podback, which was co-founded by Nespresso and launched earlier this year. Used capsules can be easily recycled in several different easy ways, including a nationwide Collect+ drop-off service, as well as kerbside collection in eligible local authority areas.
The introduction of this evolved boutique concept at Bluewater follows a successful initial pilot in the Nespresso Vienna flagship boutique, which launched earlier this year. The striking concept was designed by Italian architectural practice, Parisotto + Formenton, in close collaboration with Nespresso’s retail teams.
Delivering a unique coffee experience through five arts
With a firm focus on the customer experience, Nespresso has defined five arts that are reflected in the new Bluewater boutique:
- Art of Design – Inspiring customers through beautiful aesthetics, materials, and design. Within the Bluewater boutique, Nespresso is also introducing a café-inspired lounge area for sharing a coffee moment.
- Art of Coffee Savoir-Faire – From tastings and interactive recipe tutorials to coffee masterclasses, the boutique enables customers to explore the stories behind Nespresso coffees and their characteristics. A 360 mobile AR experience will also allow consumers to discover the stories and expertise behind Nespresso coffees while also finding the right coffee for them through a new coffee selector tool.
- Art of Sharing and Caring – Bringing customers on the Nespresso journey through a shared passion for coffee. Through local events and partnerships, the new boutique will bring coffee lovers and the Nespresso community together.
- Art of Circularity – Demonstrating how used aluminium capsules are recycled through AR experiences and a dedicated Recycling Corner in the boutique, where a recycler machine showcases how aluminium in capsules is separated from used coffee grounds.
- Art of Hospitality – Placing further emphasis on delivering an elevated coffee experience, the boutique provides an inviting, warm atmosphere to enjoy coffee, and exclusive services such as accessory engraving. Customers can also sign up for Nespresso subscriptions in-store.